Tom began his legal career at Gallagher Evelius & Jones more than three decades ago, joining the firm in 1990. He practices in Gallagher’s health law and litigation practice groups, focusing on disputes in health care matters and business litigation. His work includes representation of hospitals, nursing homes, physicians, and other health care providers in litigation, regulatory compliance, and health planning matters, including certificate of need proceedings.
In January 2018 Tom was elected by his partners to be the firm’s managing partner. He was instrumental in leading the firm during the COVID-19 health crisis, and collaborated with leaders in the Maryland State Bar Association to establish a support system for firms across the state. He has guided the firm with a continuing emphasis on community involvement and pro bono work, as well as a deep and genuine focus on enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion across the organization.
Tom is recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2022 as a leading lawyer in health law and commercial litigation, and was selected a 2020 “Lawyer of the Year” in health law by that publication.
When he is not in Gallagher’s offices collaborating with colleagues and interacting with clients, Tom enjoys spending time with his family, including his wife, Denise, and their two adult children. He is an avid cyclist, and enjoys the outdoors.
Civic and Charitable Service
- Baltimore City Guaranteed Income Steering Committee (2021 – present)
- Baltimore Community Mediation Center, Board of Directors (2001 – 2011; 2015 – 2017), Advisory Council (2018 – present)
- Camp Fire USA Baltimore Council, Board of Directors (2008 – 2010)
- Parks and People Foundation, Board of Directors (1999 – 2003)
- Institute of Notre Dame High School, Board of Directors (1997 – 2000)
- Court Appointed Advisory Council for Thompson v. HUD, a case involving the desegregation of Baltimore’s public housing units (1998 – 2000)
- Public Justice Center, Inc., Board of Directors (1992 – 1999), President (1997 – 1998)
- Roland Park Baseball League, Coach (2009 – 2016)
- Scouts BSA, Baltimore Council Troop 612, Assistant Scoutmaster (2016 – 2019)
- Board of Trustees of Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
Area(s) of Practice
- Maryland State Courts
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Courts
- District of Columbia Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- District of Columbia
- University of Maryland School of Law, JD, with honors, Order of the Coif, 1990
- University of Maryland at College Park, BA, cum laude, 1987
Bar and Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association