Mike Henigan began his legal career at Gallagher more than 25 years ago, first building a solid foundation advising real estate and commercial finance clients, and then adding the renewable energy sector to his practice. Mike’s decades of experience with multifaceted projects allow him to provide sensible, grounded guidance to lenders in the development, construction, and permanent financing of solar energy systems throughout the United States.
Mike is drawn to the collaborative aspect of business transactions work – forming personal and business relationships with clients as he works with them toward a common goal. Mike believes that helping clients develop their businesses is just as important as protecting their legal interests, and he prides himself on providing efficient, cost-effective legal services. He wants clients to walk away from every transaction feeling that he helped advance their interests.
Mike has significant experience in the financing, restructuring, and workout of commercial projects of all types. His experience includes financing resources such as tax-exempt bonds, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), and the New Markets Tax Credits program.
Before Mike began advising clients at Gallagher, he worked as a football and baseball coach at his high school alma mater in California, where his father made a career of coaching. Over the past two decades, Mike has volunteered countless hours to coach his three sons’ baseball, football, and basketball teams. He enjoys influencing the lives of children and young adults, and he is an active member of several youth athletic organizations near his home. Mike also enjoys golfing, skiing, and hiking, and spending time with his family in iconic places like Yellowstone and Glacier National Park.
- Represented lender in connection with initial development/construction financing and subsequent workout and $250M back-levered permanent financing for 250 MWac solar photovoltaic project.
- Lead lender counsel for $100M in aggregate of construction financing for four solar photovoltaic projects totaling 40 MWac of capacity and sharing various project facilities.
- Represented lender in documentation and diligence for facility to finance development costs for dozens of early-stage solar projects located in multiple states.
- Represented lender in documentation and diligence for source loans for numerous projects financed with New Markets Tax Credits, including grocery stores and community health centers.
Area(s) of Practice
- Affordable Housing
- Commercial and Real Estate Lending
- Corporate and Corporate Finance
- Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy
- Public Finance
- Real Estate and Business Transactions
- Renewable Energy
- University of North Carolina, JD, 1983
- University of California at Santa Barbara, BA, 1989, with highest honors
Bar and Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers