Dave Kinkopf is a litigator with extensive experience as lead counsel in disputes involving civil litigation, religious and nonprofit organizations, employment law and land use. He represents entities and individuals in complex discrimination, constitutional, and commercial litigation in federal and state courts. A number of Dave’s employment and land use lawsuits resulted in published opinions.
In addition to litigation, Dave advises entities on sensitive risk management as well as strategic and governmental relations issues. He is frequently invited to speak about the unique legal issues that face religious and nonprofit organizations.
A permanent member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Dave was appointed by the Chief Judge of the Fourth Circuit to serve as the Maryland representative on the Fourth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules and Procedures.
In 2007, Dave was named a Knight of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, a papal honor from Pope Benedict XVI, in recognition of his service to the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
He served a clerkship with the Honorable J. Frederick Motz, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland prior to joining the firm.
Dave is a ranked lawyer in the Chambers USA 2020 guide in Litigation: General Commercial, and is recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2020 as one of Maryland’s leading litigation lawyers.
Civic and Charitable Service
- Archdiocese of Baltimore Board of Financial Administration (2003 – present)
- Baltimore Equitable Insurance Foundation, Board of Directors (2016 – present)
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (2018 – present)
- University System of Maryland, Board of Regents (2011 – 2016)
- Charles Crane Family Foundation, Board of Directors (2013 – present)
- Catholic Community Foundation, Board of Trustees (2004 – present)
- Loyola University Maryland, Sellinger School of Business and Management, Board of Sponsors (2013 – 2019)
- St. Mary’s Seminary and University, Board of Trustees (2003 – 2019)
- Fourth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules and Procedures (2009 – 2014)
- Maryland Catholic Conference, Administrative Board (1999 – June 2011)
- Sheppard Pratt Health System and Foundation, Board of Trustees (2001 – June 2011)
- St. Ignatius Loyola Academy, Board of Trustees (2003 – 2009)
- Baltimore City Board of Municipal and Zoning Appeals, Member (2000 – 2005) and President (2002 – 2005)
Area(s) of Practice
- Land Use and Government Affairs
- Religious Freedom/First Amendment Litigation
- Maryland State Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
- Harvard Law School, JD, 1994, cum laude
- University of Notre Dame, BS, 1990, with highest honors
Bar and Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Permanent Member
- Maryland State Bar Association
- National Diocesan Attorneys Association, Executive Committee
- The Lawyers' Round Table, Secretary-Treasurer
- U.S. District Court Bench-Bar Liaison Committee