A member of Gallagher’s Litigation Group, Sam focuses on trial and appellate litigation, successfully representing clients in a wide array of commercial and real estate litigation in federal and state courts.
Sam has experience litigating to judgment a diverse range of issues, including complex contract disputes, construction disputes, insurance coverage issues, tort defense, and employment matters. He also represents clients in arbitration proceedings and in connection with government investigations.
Sam maintains an active appellate practice and has successfully briefed and argued cases dealing with issues of first impression before the United States Court of Appeal for the Fourth Circuit, Maryland appellate courts, and the D.C. Court of Appeals. A skilled legal writer, Sam has also drafted amicus briefs filed in the United States Supreme Court and federal appellate courts.
Pro bono service is important to Sam. Among other pro bono matters, Sam has partnered with the Maryland Public Defender’s Appellate Division to represent clients in criminal appeals.
After graduating from law school, Sam worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Anthony Epstein, District of Columbia Superior Court, Civil Division (2012 – 2013), and the Honorable Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbera, Maryland Court of Appeals (2013 – 2014).
- Obtained complete victory, including attorneys’ fees, for developer in multi-million-dollar contract and construction dispute with neighboring property owner, after two-week arbitration.
- Obtained summary judgment for class of lead paint victims in declaratory judgment action involving insurance and contract issues of first impression in Maryland, and successfully defended appeal of the trial court’s order in the Maryland Court of Special Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment for general contractor in construction defect and related contract dispute.
- Successfully briefed and argued attorneys’ fees dispute in the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented the Maryland General Assembly in investigation of personnel issues at State agency.
Area(s) of Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- District of Columbia
- George Washington University, JD, with high honors, Order of the Coif; Law Review; Moot Court Board; Mock Trial Board; Best overall performance, Van Vleck Moot Court Competition, 2012
- University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, BS, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Mock Trial Team, 2008
Bar and Professional Memberships
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys' Association (Amicus Brief Committee)