Rick Berndt joined Gallagher after assisting the firm’s founder, Francis X. Gallagher, at the Maryland Constitutional Convention in 1967. He served as the firm’s Managing Partner from 1976 to 2015. Rick counsels corporate, health care, religious, and educational clients. He is an active member of Maryland’s business community and currently serves on the boards of Mercy Health Services Inc., and Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Civic and Charitable Service
- Over five decades, Rick has served on the boards of Associated Catholic Charities Inc., Baltimore Community Foundation, Baltimore Development Corporation, Baltimore Equitable Society Insurance Company, Center Stage Inc., Maryland Academy of Sciences (Maryland Science Center), Goucher College, Good Samaritan Hospital, and the Board of Regents of the University of Maryland Higher Education System, and for-profit companies such as Mercantile Bankshares Corp., PNC Financial Services Group, Slaysman Company, the Mangels-Herold Company, Enterprise Community Partners, Inc., MuniMae, and Meridian Healthcare, Inc.
- Rick is the recipient of public service awards including the Cardin Pro Bono Service Award from the University of Maryland School of Law Alumni Association, two Papal Medals from Pope John Paul II, the Frances Morton Froelicher Civic Statesmanship Award from the Citizens Planning and Housing Association, and the Greater Baltimore Committee Award for Outstanding Service.
Area(s) of Practice
- Maryland State Courts
- Johns Hopkins University, MA, 1970
- University of Maryland School of Law, JD, 1967
- Villanova University, BS, 1964
Bar and Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Maryland State Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- National Diocesan Attorneys Association