Matt Pirnot practices primarily in the renewable energy sector. He brings an appreciation for precision and a finely honed ability to simplify the complex, both of which serve the firm’s clients well. Matt focuses on the development and financing of commercial/industrial and smaller utility-scale renewable energy projects across the United States, advising lenders, investors, developers, owners, customers, installers, and operators.
Much of Matt’s work requires an understanding of debt and tax equity financing. His experience in project finance and his background in corporate, municipal, real estate, and asset-backed financing provide the knowledge needed to guide clients through the financing process. Because Matt serves clients around the country, and because each state has its own unique laws, regulations, and incentives, his practice requires breadth of knowledge as well as depth.
Matt’s broad understanding of the renewable energy industry and its governing laws allows him to offer clients services tailored to their individual needs and goals.
• Represented a lender for a $44M back-levered term loan, refinancing a portfolio of more than 60 solar projects spread across more than 10 tax equity funds with multiple tax equity investors
• Lender counsel for a $100M facility for financing development-stage solar projects
• Represented a lender for construction and permanent financing (more than $90M in aggregate) for a portfolio of solar and battery energy storage projects
When Matt isn’t helping clients build a more renewable world, he enjoys cooking fine meals for his family, often using the ingredients he grows in his container garden. He’s also a fitness enthusiast who loves mountain biking and skiing, and he once held two Maryland powerlifting records. Matt and his wife, a neuroscientist at Johns Hopkins University, have two children and live in Baltimore County.
Area(s) of Practice
- Corporate and Corporate Finance
- Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy
- Renewable Energy
- Real Estate and Business Transactions
- Public Finance
- New York
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD, with high honors, 1999, Order of the Coif North Carolina Law Review, Staff and Articles Editor (1998-99)
- University of Delaware, BA, magna cum laude, 1992, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Professional Memberships
- Maryland State Bar Association