James is an experienced litigator who specializes in civil disputes and risk management for Gallagher’s real estate, healthcare, and non-profit clients. He has extensive trial experience and has obtained favorable verdicts in bench and jury trials in state and federal courts in Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia. James’ practice areas include the following:
Real Estate and Property Management. James advises the firm’s real estate and property management clients on business strategy, litigation, and dispute resolution. He works daily on a variety of issues, including fair housing, residential and commercial leases, claims management, insurance coverage, regulatory compliance, and crisis response.
Health Care Litigation and Risk Management. James defends health care providers in litigation and advises them on a wide array of risk management issues. James represents hospitals, physicians, practice groups, and long-term care facilities in state and federal litigation.
James maintains an active civil rights pro bono practice, representing incarcerated and indigent clients in state and federal litigation. He also serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Maryland Carey Law, teaching a seminar on Pretrial Civil Litigation.
James majored in mathematics at Duke University before attending the University of Maryland School of Law. After law school, James served as a law clerk for the Honorable Sally D. Adkins at the Maryland Court of Appeals. He was named to The Daily Record’s “Leaders in Law” list in 2023.
Civic and Charitable Service
Co-chair of the Lawyers’ Alliance for the Public Justice Center (2022-present)
Area(s) of Practice
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- District of Columbia
- University of Maryland School of Law, JD, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2010
- Duke University, AB, 2007
Bar and Professional Memberships
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Society of Health Care Risk Management