As a member of the firm’s health law group, James Buck advises health systems, hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care providers on a range of business and regulatory issues, including corporate governance and structure, physician recruitment and employment, the federal anti-kickback law, federal and state physician self-referral laws, the false claims act, licensing, and certification.
James also works closely with health care clients on all aspects of corporate compliance including compliance program assessments, the development of compliance policies, training and education, internal investigations, voluntary disclosures to federal and state agencies, and refunding of overpayments to governmental payors. In addition, James represents hospitals and other health care providers in certificate of need proceedings and before state licensing boards.
Prior to joining Gallagher, James was a senior litigation associate in an international law firm, where his practice focused on advising health care clients on regulatory and compliance matters and false claims act defense.
Before entering private practice, James served for two years as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable James A. Kenney III of the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland.
James is recognized by Chambers USA 2022 for his work in healthcare law.
Area(s) of Practice
- Courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- The United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- The United States District Court for the Middle District of Illinois
- District of Columbia
- University of Maryland School of Law, JD, with honors, Order of the Coif, Maryland Law Review, 2004
- Dickinson College, BA, cum laude, 2000
Bar and Professional Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association